Monday, May 31, 2010

Operant Conditioning ?

Well, surgery went well. Arrived at hospital in Slidell late... 10:15. Would you believe Katie was hungry? They took me to the back at 11, placed an IV drip in my left arm, gave me some medicine to help me relax, (which actually put me to sleep). Next thing I remember was entering the operating room and the anesthesiologist is telling me that he is giving me some medicine to put me into a deep sleep and low and behold, I don't remember a thing until they are bring me back to my room and Katie Sue smiling at me. I missed recovery completely. That was around 1:30. Next thing you know, the nurse has me sipping crystal light and sucking on ice chips. Then, she gets me out of bed and I zoom around the room at lightening speed, which she thought was funny....I guess I was supposed to be slow. Then she goes over the doctors orders (which by the way....I NEVER SAW or I don't remember seeing) and releases me to Katie...how funny. If only she knew .....I was terrified of riding home with my daughter driving through New Orleans. However, I'm alive to write this, so we made it! At 3 PM I walked.....yes.....walked to the patient loading area and got into the van. From 11 - 3......4 hours.....admit, prep, surgery, recovery, release. Done...just like that. On the day of surgery, I slept a lot, but the next day, I had things to do. Katie and I went to my end of the year swimming party for my class from 12 to 3, then to our faculty end of the year crayfish boil from 3 to whenever (but we left at 6). I was pooped. Now about eating. BF Skinner would have been very proud of these doctors. The Golden Rules are sip, sip, sip, and chew, chew, chew. When they say take a small sip or bite, they mean SMALL. On day two, I took what I thought was a small sip of water and almost died. It felt like I swallowed a golf ball and I felt it slowly going down my esophagus to my stomach. I was like OK, too big, small sip means teeny, weeny, tiny, sip. Then, on day 3 I could add yogurt, thin cream soups with no chunks, pudding, etc. Again, too big of a bite = ZAP! Pain between the shoulder blades as the golf ball slowly descends to my esophagus to my stomach. No lieing.....I'm like, this is operant conditioning......eat/drink small bite/sip......no pain. Eat big bite/sip......ZAP! Pain between the shoulder blades. Like BF Skinner's rats, it didn't take me too long to figure it how this Lap Band System was going to work in changing my bad eating habits. I was going to learn one way or the other. Well, that is all for now. I post again as my new life gets more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment