Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Reflection on Mother's Day 2010

      Once a year, a day is set aside to honor our mothers. My mother has passed away, but I visited my aunt all afternoon. I laid on the sofa - reading the newspaper, she sat in her chair - reading the other half of the newspaper. Every once and a while, she or I would say something, but for the most part, we just sat quietly and read......perfect day if you ask me. Although my aunt is not my biological mother, she is more of a mother to me than my own mother ever was. I don't want to sound harsh.....my biological mother did do a lot for me and my children as she got older. It is just that I have always felt such love for my aunt that it is hard to believe she isn't my biological mother. As she ages, it is hard to not to think about what life will be like when she passes. I usually turn my attention to how healthy she is, not to mention how beautiful she wears her age...haha. This makes me think she will live well pass 100. By then, I will approaching 70, so I have decided, when she goes.....I'm going too! No way is she leaving me behind!
       Around 6:30, I left to go home. I had from my son in D.C., we played phone tag a couple of times, then we finally talked. He is so honest to a fault.....I told him he was the only one of my children I had heard from that day.....He said, "O wait Mom, don't be too proud....Alison (his wife) reminded me to call you!" I just busted out laughing and told him to thank Alison! And, he said to look for some cards in the mail....again, I told him to thank Alison. My youngest daughter wanted to take me to eat a salad, but a fishing trip with my grandsons and her dad took longer than expected, so she wanted me to wait around Thibodaux until she got back. My oldest son was with her and their dad, so she must have reminded him it was mother's day because he text me after I talked to her. She finally got home, so we ran to get a salad and of course she told me about her day with my 2 grandchildren. She had pictures to go along with the stories. As I looked through the pictures of my two little boys, I began to cry. Without getting into what happened, my oldest daughter is not talking to me; therefore, I cannot no longer see my babies. It has been 6 months since I have seen them, and my heart aches to see them. As I sat looking at the pictures of their day, I cried. This made my youngest daughter cry too. So my mother's day ended at LaCasa in a crying fest. I literally cried the rest of the night. I just recently found out that my youngest daughters boyfriend lost his phone. He tried calling her to get my number, but since they are broke up....she refused to give it to him. So, I got a happy mother's day late from him. So needless to say, my mother's day was little to be desired. It is not that I expected anything exotic, but I could have lived without Mother's Day 2010. Que Sera Sera is all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment