Sunday, June 17, 2012

Trying to remember

Today is Father's Day.  It is a special day where we honor our father's, lavish them with gifts, fix them breakfast in bed, take them out to eat, etc. For those of us whose father's have long passed, it is a bitter sweet day. Today, I'm trying to remember. I was a "late in life" baby. My father was in his late 40's when I was born. I was definately a "Daddy's Girl." I was quite spoiled. I can remember him letting him crawl in the bed with him and mom when I would have a nightmare. He would tell me stories until I fell asleep. He was a hard worker. A WWII Army Veteran. He was stationed in Los Alamos, New Mexico, which as we all know now was where the famed atomic bombs were created. He was a cook in the Army. He owned a neighborhood bar in Bourg, LA, "DuBois Bar," but he sold it shortly after I was born. That wasn't a business to be in with children, and he was scared I would run out into the main road it sat on and get killed....typical dad. So, he went to work in the shipyards, like everyone else. That was where the money was anyway. He was a "sand blaster" at Quality Shipyards, which I found out the other day is still open. My nephew is now employed there. Unfortunately, I remember very little else. Just bits and pieces. I remember the last time I saw and spoke to him. He was sick and not doing well at all. He died when I was only 10. I often wonder if my life would have been better or worse if he had lived. He had his faults, but regardless, he was my father....I couldn't change that. As a child, I only saw the good, but as an adult, I see the faults. As the years move along, my memories fade more and more. I seem to only remember the day he died. Well, enough of this...........moving along.

No comments:

Post a Comment